Sunday is quickly becoming my least favorite day of the week. I struggle with entertaining my three year old all day and it gets really tiring. When it's nice outside we can at least go out and enjoy the weather but on days like today (very windy and cold) we are stuck inside with each other all day long. Rhaegan for some reason can not entertain herself for even 10 minutes. She is constantly wanting Shae or myself to play with her and when we can't she will throw major fits. She has also decided that not obeying us is her new favorite thing. It's a battle all day long between us and her. So here's the reason for my post:
I NEED SOME HELP!!!
If anyone has any ideas on how to entertain my daughter or how to get her to entertain herself please let me know. I hate making her play by herself but I have been so tired lately. She is also starting to dislike Marlee because she's taking up most of my time. So on top of not knowing how to entertain Rhaegan I am also feeling guilty that I can't give her all my attention. What to do?
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Although this isn't helpful today, it won't be long before your girls are entertaining each other.
Hopefully warm weather and lots of time outside are just around the corner :)
Some things that "encouraged" my oldest to entertain herself include:
Watercolor painting- I would spread papers on the kitchen floor and let her play artist. once they were dry I posted them on her bedroom door and fridge.
Restaurant- It would buy me about 10 minutes when my daughter baked or cooked for me in her bedroom kitchen. ex: I would order a pizza then she would hurry off to her room to prepare and bake then bring it in for me to eat. Next I'd order a cupcake...
Cleaning Helper- Harmony loved dusting the doors, cupboards, base boards, chairs etc. with a puffy feather duster and then using the clorox disingecting wipes to clean the tub, mirror, sink etc. Of course she received a sticker and lots of praise as her reward.
The Wiggles- Does Rhaegan have a favorite show that holds her attention? I'm forever grateful to the Wiggles for providing me with 25 minutes of uninterupted me time.
I'm excited to see the other suggestions from your readers.
From first hand observation, you are doing very well. Yes Rhaegan is going to try and push every button, but that is normal. She has to learn that Marlee needs your time as well. You do very well giving her your time after Marlee has been fed and is settled down. Charaty had some great ideas. Don't be so hard on yourself.
I loved Charaty's comments. For Jacks' upcoming birthday, I got him some construction stuff; now I'm kicking myself-I should have gotten him a toy kitchen. Maybe I will anyway........Anyways, Jack and I would love to be a part of a solution, I'm ALWAYS looking for somebody to play with Jack. My house is kid-proof, drop Rhea off at my place more often, it'll do us both a HUGE favor. I'll get homework done, and your sanity will be preserved. There it is, OPEN INVITATION. Please, take me up on it.
First of all, don't feel guilty that you can't give all your attention to her. You are the parent of more than one now and it is impossible, and really, she doesn't need your constant attention anyway. I promise she'll grow up just fine without it, actually probably better adjusted if she doesn't need someone to entertain her all the time. Getting her to that point may be hard but she'll get there. She's used to being the center of your world and now she's not the only one there, but she'll get used to it and adjust. In the meantime, DON'T give in to the tantrums. She needs to know that no means no (or later means later). Respond to fits calmly (if possible, I'm not always the best at that one) or ignore tantrums all together. Focus on praising the good things she does and not reacting to the bad things.
It all sounds too familiar!! :) Jason has gotten better, but it is a huge adjustment for them. I find that when I can create just a little alone time for Jason and I throughout the day he seems to be much happier. But there are those days when I'm still pretty clueless. You are lucky summer is right around the corner...it's been a LONG winter for us! good luck and hang in there!!
I'm going to need some of that advice soon. It's a hard adjustment for the older sibling. Especially when you've been able to give her all the attention for so many years. The only thing I would say is that it's nice to have a trunk or box of special toys in it that Rhaegan can go into when you're nursing Marlee. Since you're not able to sit there with her and play with her while you're doing that, it's nice to have new things for Rhaegan to play with. They're toys that she can only touch when you're nursing. It gives her something to look forward to when you're busy. Just a thought. Otherwise, whenever you can get away, DO! and take Rhaegan with you. She needs that alone time with you. Even if it's just driving to the bank or something.
Thanks everyone for all your great ideas...I am definitely going to try them all. I know I shouldn't feel so bad/guilty but it's hard not being able to give Rhaegan all my attention when that's what I've done for 3 years. I know we will both get use to this change. Thanks again everyone!!
Hi Kendall,
Congrats on the baby!! We are so happy for you!
My advice is one word: STICKERS...When we had Kylar we gave Gianna a time everyday to play with stickers and she loved it and it really isn't messy or too cumbersome. It was new and novel and she was really focused on it and spent a long time playing with them. I also tried to do something with just her everday which is hard I know. Hang in there - it will get better!
Paula
www.hunschefamily.blogspot.com
Hi Kendall Congratulations to you and Shae on another beautiful little girl.
Post a Comment