So Rhaegan continues to be the worst sleeper in the entire world. She fights sleep with every fiber of her being and it's starting to take it's toll on Shae and myself and on her. Naps have become one of the most stressful times for me. Rhaegan NEVER goes to sleep during nap time but by about 4 o'clock she is beyond tired. I have tired almost everything I can think of and have taken suggestion after suggestion but nothing is working. Now during nap time this is what her room looks like after she's finished expressing her totally aversion to napping....


I now have taken everything out of her room except for her bed and blankets. She has to stay in there for only an hour but I'm hoping that with nothing to destroy maybe she'll get bored and fall asleep.
I know that some of you are probably thinking "come on Kendall, maybe she doesn't need naps anymore." Trust me I have thought that very same thing but when she's only getting around 7 hours of sleep at night (she wakes up a 4:30 sometimes 5 every morning), she clearly is not receiving enough. WHAT DO I DO??????
8 comments:
Oh no--that is horrible, but so funny! That trashed room was just what I needed to see tonight. I still have to drive Charlie around every day for his nap so I have no tips--sorry! I can't believe she wakes up so early in the morning. That is brutal! Good luck, my friend!
LOL on the room picture. My kids' rooms look like that sometimes and they're not pitching a fit about a nap. Aaron's nap time has officially gone away since we finally got rid of the binky at Christmas. That part actually went tons better than I was expecting, but he won't take naps anymore, sad for me. I'm sure the situation is especially worrisome for you with the baby coming soon and you'll be tired enough as it is. Maybe she is on a reverse growth spurt, like a growth slow down, so instead of needing lots of sleep to grow she just has lots of energy. I remember you posted about this months ago but figured it had stopped by now. Has it been continuous? Oh my. Here is a thought - does she have big tonsils, snores, or mouth breathes heavy when she is sleeping? If yes she may be having some sleep apnea where her breathing catches and it jolts her awake too early. Kristen used to do this but she'd wake up crying and then I could get her back to sleep. If this doesn't apply (or especially if it does) I'd say try talking to her pediatrician if you haven't already. You may get the "everything's normal" answer, but it really doesn't seem typical to me for a kid her age to go on such little sleep for such an extended period of time. Sleep issues are miserable for everyone in the house. :(
WOW all I can say is I don't look forward to that stage if we should be so lucky to have the same experience! Thankfully Jason is still in his crib so he's "stuck" once I put him in there. Good idea on taking everything out of her room....hopefully that does the trick :)
You poor guys! I agree with you; that's not enough sleep for a little girl. My kids all sleep at least 12 hours a night. (Plus they nap too!) Taking everything out of her room should help.
I don't have any advice... I was blessed with super sleepers. But I do love the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." Have you read it? I can send it to you.
Thanks for all the great advice...Angie, Rhaegan does have huge tonsils so maybe that is the reason for her sleeplessness. I am definitely going to talk to the doc about this...Kate, I haven't read that book but I would love to. You don't have to send it to me though. Where did you get it and I will go pick one up. Thanks again everyone.
I wish I could help but I have zero experience. Maybe have her run around all day until she just passes out from exhaustion... no?! Sorry I can't help more.
Drugs baby drugs.
Oh Kendall .. The joys of motherhood. Mallory has been a terrible sleeper since september. I don't know what happened, or why she HATES going to sleep now, but the last few nights we've finally just let her cry it out and she's sleeping through the night again. It was BRUTAL though. I don't know about nap time. You don't want to start any bad habits, like laying down with her or anything, cause when the baby comes you're not going to be able to lay down with her. My friend Gina's daughter wouldn't lay down to sleep, so she stuck her in a pack n' play. I'm sure Rhaegan's a bit big for that though. Gina's daughter couldn't get out, so she would finally give up the fight and lay down to take a nap. Something to think about. I have no idea.
Post a Comment