Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Happy Easter?

So the question mark in the title is because our Easter was not as happy as one would have hoped. I was prepared and everything but then Saturday night hit and my life was thrown a huge curve ball....Here's the story:

Saturday at about 4pm Rhaegan starts telling me that her ear hurts. For those of you who know Rheagan's ear history know that after 2 years of major ear infections every 6 weeks we got tubes put in Rhaegan's ears. This past January, exactly a year after they were put in, her tubes fell out (which is what's suppose to happen). Two weeks after they came out she was hit with her first infection. It was a really bad one too. We got the medicine for it and after 10 days she was back to normal. That was in February. So now it's April and she's telling me her ear hurts again. Rhaegan never complains about her ears hurting unless it's BAD!! So I knew they were infected but I still had to go to the doctors.

We arrive at Urgent Care 10 minutes before they closed and were seen by the PA on call that day. She looks in Rhaegan's left ear (the ear that's not bothering her) and says that it looks clear. Then she looks in her right ear and says, "Well, there's a little fluid in there but it's not infected by any means." She, however, gave her an antibiotic anyway because of her history of ear infections. We left and I was completely surprised that they weren't infected. Don't worry if you're thinking the same thing...here comes the tidal wave.

That night Rhaegan went to bed but was still complaining of her ear hurting. I gave her some Motrin and sent her to bed. She was up ALL NIGHT LONG!!! Not only was she up, she was screaming so hard that I almost took her to the ER. She was banging her head on the floor, kicking anything she could, screaming bloody murder. I couldn't give her more medicine for another hour so that poor thing was suffering right in front of my eyes and there was nothing I could do. Every 5 hours (I know it's suppose to be 6-8) I would give her more medicine. I put a hot wash cloth on her ear every 20 minutes which seemed to help a little.

The next morning we got up and got ready for church. We arrived at church, took our seats and i look at Rhaegan. She has blood and greenish yellow junk oozing out of her ear and down her face. HER EARDRUM HAD RUPTURED!!!! No infection my butt. I was furious! I hadn't filled her prescription because they told me to wait because her ears were fine. I am never going back to that office again. How could they miss something so serious.

We leave church and as I'm putting her in her car seat I noticed that her OTHER EARDRUM HAS RUPTURED!! Ok, that's it! I am beyond mad at this point. I felt so bad that Rhaegan had been in so much pain and I probably could have helped if I had filled her prescription and started her on it. I guess trusting the doctor (well, nurse) is overrated.

Rhaegan is now on antibiotics and is doing better. Needless to say our Easter wasn't filled with candy and treats. Maybe next year we'll be able to celebrate the holiday appropriately.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor girl. Do you have to do anything else besides the antibiotics? Did you end up in the ER after church? I had something similar happen with Jacob in Norwich, well not a ruptured eardrum, but blazing hot around the clock and the NP at the clinic kept telling me his ears were fine, his throat was fine, it's just a virus. The third time I went back I practically demanded an antibiotic. I didn't care that she thought his ears looked fine and his strep culture was negative. His fever broke within 12 hours. Listen to your gut! I know they worry about giving kids too many antibiotics, but you know when something is serious or not.

Kate said...

Oh that's so sad! I'm so sorry for you. Paige's eardrum burst a couple of months ago. At least it gives them some relief! Poor poor Rhaegan! (And you... up all night... no fun.)

The Carlsens said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry. What an awful experience. No wonder that girl was in so much pain. Sometimes doctors are so stupid. Aren't they suppose to be one of the smartest people in society?

Jess said...

Wow....poor Rhaegan! I'm soo soo sorry. For both of you. Her for the pain and you having to watch her and deal with doctor frustrations! I hope things are getting better quickly.

Anonymous said...

That's just terrible. Poor Rhaegan (and you guys). Mallory's never had an ear infection (THANK GOODNESS) so I have no idea what you guys have been through, but you've been through it A LOT and that just stinks. I'm so sorry. I hope you have a belated easter and celebrate with an egg hunt and candy. You deserve it!

mapacupps said...

Going through that with you kids I know how bad it is for the parent and especially the child. I'm just glad that she is doing better. It's too bad that the doctor can't find out what an idiot that nurse was. She should be fired.

Amber said...

Hey Kendall, So sorry to hear about Rhaegans ears. Ouch! Hope you guys are all doing better now.