Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Early Bird

My wonderful little 5 year old use to have a thing with waking up at 6am every morning even if she didn't fall asleep until 11 the night before. That phase ended (thank goodness) and was a thing of the past. I thought for sure I was in the clear. Unfortunately I was wrong. Her new time is now 5:30am each and every morning. The first couple of mornings I thought it's ok she's just not tired anymore. Now it's been 3 weeks straight of this early bird behavior and I can barely keep my eyes open past noon each day. What am I going to do? We have tried EVERYTHING from punishments to more exercise during the day. The Super Nanny has even been a recent booked checked out from our local library. She is clearly not getting enough sleep for a 5 year old. What to do?

8 comments:

Alyson said...

We went through this with both Jack & Olivia. We finally gave up on trying to get them to sleep later, but just set a rule that they couldn't make any noise or come out of their room until a set time (6:30 or 7:00). It worked once they could recognize numbers! They each would just wake up when they were ready, then read or play quietly in their room until the designated time. That way, they at least weren't waking us up! Some kids just need less sleep...even though we think they don't! Times are changing though...now on the weekends, Olivia often sleeps past 9:00. So hang in there!

mapacupps said...

I have a plan to share when I get home. I love your new blog page.

Krista Adamow said...

Is it too early for Tylenol PM? That is my secret.. for me at least!

Anonymous said...

I have two ideas. The first is what Alyson said. I'd try that first. The second is before you go to bed put the TV on Disney Channel on a very low volume and tell her if she gets up early she can come out and turn on the TV but don't wake up anyone and just watch TV quietly until people get up.

Cami said...

Check this out it looks pretty cool... http://www.goodnitelite.com/index.php?page=product
Good luck!!

emily+brett said...

i honestly think i would die. steele sleeps till 9 and if he wakes up any earlier i feel like a zombi. i'm a little spoiled i think. wish i had a suggestion for you:(

Kenneth said...

Get her a job. That's when I get up for work if not before. You could get her on the spinning bike to exercise, that would make me sleep longer.

Mills Family said...

Kashe gets up at 4am, does that count. I am a zombie. ha ha. I like the clock idea...tell her she can't come get you until it says 7. That's what a co-worker does with his boys.