Rhaegan underwent minor ear surgery today to help relieve her chronic ear infections. She was such a trooper. The surgery lasted about 10 minutes and then we were in recovery for about 40 minutes (of course we were in the waiting room prior to surgery for about 1 hour and a half). Rhaegan has been getting severe ear infections for about a year now. We would treat them with antibiotics but they never seemed to take the infection away completely. We were at the doctor's office about 7 times this year just for her ears. So the last time we went they recommended we see an ENT (ear, nose & throat). A week before her appointment with the ENT she started showing signs of an ear infection only this time it seemed to really be bothering her. She didn't sleep for a good 3 days and then the day before her appointment stuff started draining from her ear (which is not suppose to happen). Unfortunately her left eardrum had ruptured and the right one was about to because of how much infections was behind it. They immediately scheduled us for surgery and we had the problem fix (hopefully). I attached two links which describe the surgery and all in entails. Rhaegan is doing great and is acting like nothing happened. Thanks everyone for all your phone calls and emails. We love you all!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tympanostomy_tube
http://www.ghorayeb.com/OtitisMediaPEtube.html
Monday, January 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Glad she is (and you) are doing OK. Suzi says hi! Nick
I can't believe she went through all that. what a rough year. Mallory's never had an ear infection - knock on wood. I'm not looking forward to them. Poor thing. What a trooper!
How come I'm always the last one to hear about these things? My niece was having surgery, and I didn't even know!!! I'm so glad she got tubes. I know it will solve all of her poor ear problems. Her hearing has always been fine, though, right? I mean, she speaks SO well. I wonder if she'll notice such a difference in how much better she'll be able to hear. Glad it went well and hope to talk to you soon. We love you, Rhae-Rhae!
Post a Comment